Thursday, September 20, 2007

How I get my news.

I get my news from several different sources, in small bits at a time. Generally I get my local news from television. I'm not particularly biased towards any specific newscast, usually switching between stations during commercial breaks. For sports news, which is my biggest interest, I usually go to ESPN. Whether its Sportscenter on TV, ESPN Mobile on my phone, or ESPN.com I've always got one of the three in front of me. I read the occasional magazine, generally sticking to broad topic titles like men's life magazines. I probably spend 7 to 8 hours a week seeking news coverage, mostly about sports.
When I read coverage of touchy subjects involving race or gender in the media I tend to regard as futile. Especially in sports, I get so tired of hearing how things have still got to be about race all of the time. For example, people think Barry Bonds did steroids because in less than a year the man's body doubled in size and he went up two hat sizes, NOT BECAUSE HE'S BLACK and we don't want him to break the home run record because of it. I keep hearing this argument wondering when anyone was going to mention that the record in question has been held by a black man for 30 years.

No comments: